Patulin is a toxic compound produced by some species of fungi, particularly those of the genus Penicillium. It is commonly found in spoiled fruits and juices, and can cause illness if consumed in large quantities. Patulin has been shown to have toxic effects on the gastrointestinal system and the nervous system, and has been classified as a potential carcinogen. To reduce the risk of exposure to patulin, it is important to properly store and process fruits and juices, and to discard any products that have become moldy or spoiled.
Tell me about the mycotoxin Patulin
How does Patulin affect the body?
Exposure to Patulin can lead to some of the following health effects:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain
- Liver toxicity: elevated liver enzymes and jaundice
- Kidney toxicity: changes in urine color and volume, as well as reduced kidney function
- Nervous system effects: tremors, seizures, and other neurological symptoms
- Immune system effects: suppression of the immune system, leading to increased susceptibility to infections
- Reproductive effects: decreased fertility, birth defects, and other reproductive problems
- Endocrine effects: interference with the normal functioning of hormones, leading to hormonal imbalances
Can Patulin come from water damaged buildings?
Yes, patulin can be present in water-damaged buildings. Fungi that produce patulin can grow on organic materials, such as wood, wallpaper, and insulation, that have been exposed to moisture. When these materials become wet, the fungi can grow and produce patulin, which can then be released into the air and potentially inhaled. Inhalation of patulin can cause respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and wheezing, as well as more systemic symptoms, such as headaches and dizziness. In addition to inhalation, patulin can also be ingested if contaminated food or drink is consumed in a water-damaged building. To reduce the risk of exposure to patulin in water-damaged buildings, it is important to address the source of the moisture and to clean and remove any moldy materials.
How do I detox Patulin from my body?
Detoxing mycotoxins (and accompanying mold colonization) is a multi-layered process. If you need guidance, contact Matt about a consultation.
Some steps are:
- Avoid mold and mycotoxins in your food
- Address and prevent mold in your home
- Bind mycotoxins within your body
- Support your liver and kidneys
- Poop at least two times per day
- Use the sauna to mobilize toxins (bind before/during/after)
- Work on your gut health
Order a Mycotoxins lab (urine test) to see if you have been affected by mold toxicity.
Want to see if mycotoxins are affecting your body?
* AI generated research included