Ochratoxin A (OTA) is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by certain species of Aspergillus and Penicillium fungi that commonly grow on food and feed crops.
Tell me about the mycotoxin Ochratoxin A
While ingestion by food is not the main cause of OTA toxicity, OTA has been identified as a contaminant of a variety of agricultural commodities such as coffee, wine, beer, dried fruits, and pork products. Ingestion of food contaminated with OTA has been linked to various health problems in humans and animals, including nephrotoxicity, carcinogenicity, and immunotoxicity. The regulation and control of OTA in food and feed products is an important public health issue, and different countries have established maximum limits for OTA levels in food and feed products to reduce human and animal exposure.
The common cause of Ochratoxin A toxicity is by long term exposure in water damaged buildings. More details on that below.
How does Ochratoxin A affect the body?
Ochratoxin A (OTA) is a toxic substance that can have adverse effects on human health when ingested through contaminated food or drink. OTA is known to cause several toxic effects in the body, including:
- Nephrotoxicity: OTA is toxic to the kidneys and can cause renal dysfunction and kidney damage.
- Carcinogenicity: OTA has been classified as a possible human carcinogen, with evidence suggesting a link between OTA exposure and an increased risk of developing certain types of cancers, such as renal cell carcinoma.
- Immunotoxicity: OTA has been shown to weaken the immune system, making the body more vulnerable to infections and diseases.
- Neurotoxicity: OTA has also been shown to have a neurotoxic effect, causing damage to the nervous system and potentially leading to neurodegenerative disorders.
- Teratogenicity: OTA has also been shown to have a teratogenic effect, meaning it can cause birth defects and developmental problems in fetuses.
- And many more...
It's important to note that the effects of OTA can vary depending on the dose and duration of exposure, as well as the individual's age, health status, and other factors.
Can Ochratoxin A come from water damaged buildings?
Yes, Ochratoxin A (OTA) can potentially come from water damaged buildings. OTA is produced by certain species of fungi, such as Aspergillus and Penicillium, which can grow and multiply in damp or water-damaged environments. This includes buildings that have experienced water damage due to leaks, floods, or high humidity levels. In such environments, fungi can grow on various materials and surfaces, including wallpaper, insulation, carpeting, and other building materials, potentially leading to the presence of OTA in the indoor air.
Exposure to OTA in water damaged buildings can occur through inhalation, ingestion, or dermal contact with contaminated surfaces. The health effects of OTA exposure in water damaged buildings can vary depending on the level of exposure and individual factors, but it has been linked to various health problems, such as respiratory and neurological symptoms, as well as a range of immunological, renal, and carcinogenic effects.
It's important to address and properly remediate water damage in buildings to minimize the potential growth of fungi and reduce the risk of exposure to OTA and other toxic substances.
How do I detox Ochratoxin A from my body?
Detoxing mycotoxins (and accompanying mold colonization) is a multi-layered process. If you need guidance, contact Matt about a consultation.
Some steps are:
- Avoid mold and mycotoxins in your food
- Address and prevent mold in your home
- Bind mycotoxins within your body
- Support your liver and kidneys
- Poop at least two times per day
- Use the sauna to mobilize toxins (bind before/during/after)
- Work on your gut health
Order a Mycotoxins lab (urine test) to see if you have been affected by mold toxicity.
Want to see if mycotoxins are affecting your body?
* AI generated research included