Fumonisin B2 is a type of mycotoxin produced by the fungus Fusarium verticillioides. It is commonly found in corn and corn-based products such as cornmeal, cornflakes, and corn flour. It is also present in water damaged buildings.
Tell me about the mycotoxin Fumonisin B2
How does Fumonisin B2 affect the body?Exposure to high levels of Fumonisin B2 has been linked to various health effects, including:
- Liver and kidney damage
- Increased risk of certain types of cancer
- Impairment of the nervous system and cognitive function
- Increased risk of birth defects and decreased fertility
- Altered immune response
- Stunted growth and decreased weight gain
- Decreased feed intake and feed efficiency
- Decreased immune function
- Increased oxidative stress and cellular damage
- Disruption of lipid metabolism
- Disruption of glucose metabolism and insulin signalling
Can Fumonisin B2 come from water damaged buildings?
Yes, Fumonisin B2 can be found in water-damaged buildings. The fungus Fusarium verticillioides, which produces fumonisins B2, is commonly found in damp or water-damaged buildings, and can grow on building materials such as drywall and insulation.
People who work in or live in water-damaged buildings may be at risk of inhaling Fumonisin B2, which can result in exposure to the mycotoxin.
It is recommended that measures be taken to prevent water damage and mold growth in buildings, such as proper ventilation, fixing leaks, and removing contaminated building materials. If you suspect that you may have been exposed to Fumonisin B2 from a water-damaged building, it is best to seek the advice of a healthcare professional.
How do I detox Fumonisin B2 from my body?
Detoxing mycotoxins (and accompanying mold colonization) is a multi-layered process. If you need guidance, contact Matt about a consultation.
Some steps are:
- Avoid mold and mycotoxins in your food
- Address and prevent mold in your home
- Bind mycotoxins within your body
- Support your liver and kidneys
- Poop at least two times per day
- Use the sauna to mobilize toxins (bind before/during/after)
- Work on your gut health
Order a Mycotoxins lab (urine test) to see if you have been affected by mold toxicity.
Want to see if mycotoxins are affecting your body?
* AI generated research included