Is MOLD affecting your ability to heal?
Mold, you know what it is, the green stuff on bread and cheese, the white stuff on boxes in damp basements and the dreaded black mold behind walls where you knew you had a "small" water leak.
News flash: No matter the color, the location or how small the colony appears, no mold is okay if it came about due to a water source on organic matter (wood, drywall, carpet, etc.).
Mold is everywhere; it's outside, it's inside, it's on your grapes that have been in the fridge too long, there's no escaping it. The issue is, mold from water damage is far more dangerous than the mold that will come in your window on a summer day. The toxic soup of chemicals from the WDB (water damaged building) is in the air and the dust of every water-damaged building. The even worse news is, it's estimated that over 50% of buildings in the US are water damaged in some way. And how many of those owners actually know of the damage? My guess would be maybe 5%. Of that 5%, how many know the extreme health issues this can cause? Maybe 5% of those people. The odds are against you if you're affected by this biotoxin illness.
One of the scariest things about mold is that it often has no smell and is often hidden, so you have almost no chance of knowing it's even there. If you smell that 'musty' smell, that's a bonus, and it gives you somewhere to start. Now, I should take back 'bonus' because it actually means your mold is so healthy that it has extra resources to produce that secondary metabolite, the mVOC that you're smelling. A healthy colony of mold with extra resources is never a "bonus," I apologize.
Mold itself isn't the dangerous enemy; it's the mycotoxin it produces to combat other nearby molds. In this fungal battle for territory, we get caught in the middle. As the mold's spores go airborne to stake new claims, the toxic mycotoxins are released into the air for us to breathe.
So how does that affect you?
As your hidden mold colony (or not hidden) continues to grow, it releases more mold spores, releasing more mycotoxins, which can keep accumulating in your body 24/7. It's a continuous cycle until someone finds and properly remediates the source and secondary water damage.
Did you know: About 25% of people are genetically susceptible to mold. They carry the HLA-DR gene which confuses the immune system and stops it from attacking and removing toxins (like mycotoxins).
Mycotoxins are immunosuppressive; this means they weaken and limit your immune systems' ability to do its job. They are incredibly toxic even to healthy people and can slowly wear them down to illness. Now, if you're already dealing with other health conditions and have a weakened immune system, it will bring you down even faster and harder.
What symptoms can accompany mold/mycotoxin illness?
2. Irritated eyes
3. Sinus infections
6. Word recollection issues
8. Nose bleeds
10. Numbness and tingling
11. Increased urination
12. Abdominal pain
13. Night sweats
14. Static shocks
15. Metallic taste in mouth
16. Shortness of breath
And sadly, more...
Why do you need to know if it's affecting you
Simply put, it really puts the brakes on healing. Your immune system can't get any traction to heal from mold and any other chronic conditions you may have. You may feel like you're doing all the right things; you're detoxing, you're doing your epsom salt baths, dry brushing, sauna, you're taking your supplements or medicine, and the needle isn't moving. Mold will weld that need in place. Actually, it won't keep it there; it will often keep moving you backwards.
If you have these chronic conditions, you should be checking for mycotoxins in your system:
MCAS/MCS : Mast cell activation syndrome and multiple chemical sensitivity can be triggered by mold exposure. When exposed to mold, the MCAS flares can cause a host of symptoms, including dizziness, hives, fatigue, pain and more.
Lyme disease : Lyme and co-infection symptoms match those of mold illness very closely. And because Lyme and mold are both so immunosuppressive, one can often lead to the other being activated if you were exposed.
PANS/PANDAS : A doctor that has a very high success rate helping kids with PANS/PANDAS recover has stated he sees, clinically, about 70% of the kids having mycotoxins in their system. And for the same reason as Lyme disease, this inhibits your immune system from being able to come up and fight the battle.
If you're dealing with any of those chronic conditions or feel you may have been exposed to mold, you need to be testing for mycotoxins. The test is a simple urine test; no jab is required.
Order the MycoTOX test here and get the ball rolling on seeing if mold illness is hindering your ability to heal.
Did you know: The mycotoxin 'Mycophenolic acid' has been made into a drug given to people who receive organ transplants to shut down their immune system so that their body doesn't reject the new tissue. Now imagine you're trying to heal from chronic health issues and you have high levels of Mycophenolic acid circulating in your system. Nearly impossible to heal.
Functional medicine practitioner
This post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any condition or disease. All opinions and information provided on this site are for educational purposes and should not be used as medical advice.